mbahunt

Step 2 of 43

Now that the GMAT is over and done, it's time to focus on applying to school. I've intentionally neglected doing any research on schools because I honestly didn't know how I would score, and my decision to apply to business school weighed heavily on how I did on the GMAT. For those of you who are all about the Reading Comprehension section, don't automatically infer from the above that I think the GMAT is the do-or-die for getting into school. However, when you have an below average GPA with an average degree from an average school with below average years of average job experience, I feel that a fat GMAT score can greatly help your case.

When I say average, I mean average in a business school applicant sort of sense. I managed to drink work my ass off to a 3.3 GPA at a top 15 American University (it was top 7 when I got in, damnit, and that's all that matters) in one of the more difficult engineering disciplines. Yes, I think there are varying levels of difficulty of engineering. I've spent a couple years grinding it out at a Big 4 consulting firm, so as you can see, I fit nicely into the mold of your typical candidate.

Since I didn't really think about where I want to apply, I picked 5 (not so) random schools to sent my scores to from the list, and now I have to figure out where I'm actually applying. The long list goes like this (in no particular order):

1. Harvard
2. Penn
3. Northwestern
4. MIT
5. Chicago
6. Dartmouth
7. Duke I'm no rapist.
8. Columbia
9. Cornell
10. Michigan

"Oh my god!" you're thinking. "Those are the same exact schools I'm applying to as well!!!" Pipe down, Chachi. You're not the only one who can copy/paste the US News rankings of the best business schools.

I realize that I should be thinking more about things such as what I want to study and what I want to do with my life, but I'd rather concern myself with, what gets the most "oooohhh" factor when I say my degree by name.

In addition, I would really like to join the ranks of stuffy, old, white men with flashy MBA schools on their resumes. I think I'd look pretty hot with a monocle and a pocketwatch with a picture of a train on it. Though, if I'm really going for that, I should probably cross off about 7 of those more of those schools and really focus on achieving that goal.

posted by mbahunt @ 7:42 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

School Status

About Me

Important Dates

Archives

Previous Posts

Links