mbahunt

Look how big my penis is!!!

I recently went to a Admissions Committee Panel, where seemingly high ranking admissions committee members from the top 5 business schools (as valiantly ranked by US News) provided some general information about the admissions process as well as some tips and insight as to why people get in and why they don't. Although most of it was basic crap that anyone who's done any reading about MBAs would already know, I did gather a few tips that might prove to be helpful. (They are at the end of the post. I'd rather speak my mind first.)

So imagine a hotel ballroom full of maybe 500 young, 20-something, yuppie schmucks. Now imagine them asking all kinds of retarded questions they know the answer to, but are asking anyways because they think that the Associate Director of MBA Admissions at Harvard will remember their name and face. Now imagine a "reception" afterwards that consists of everyone crowding around a table of alumni and adcom members, trying desperately to have a pissing contest. Listen, asses. This is a recruiting event, not a group interview. These adcom folks do this for a living. They see approximately 3 billion applicants every day. THEY WILL NOT REMEMBER YOUR NAME. That's why they make you apply. Man, I had to leave, because if I heard one more ibanker talk about an investment fund, I probably would have administered papercuts to my eyeballs with the brochures I collected.

All in all, I'm glad I went simply because I picked up a few things. I really hope that the douche mentality is only prevalent among MBA applicants and not MBA students.

Some of the highlights from the forum:
1. When writing resumes, don't just focus on the tasks, but also the accomplishments as well. Also be sure to include non-project accomplishments as well, such as corporate community type stuff, if applicable.
2. They are much more interested in what you did in an extra-curricular and how it affected others rather than the extra-curricular itself. No single activity garners more weight than others. Read: Community service is not a requirement.
3. Women have an easier time of getting in than men do, and I quote, "Only 30% of our applicants are female, but we strive to have half our class be female."
4. Business schools would rather have really diverse student bodies than really qualified student bodies.

posted by mbahunt @ 11:18 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

School Status

About Me

Important Dates

Archives

Previous Posts

Links