mbahunt

Oh, sweet irony.

The main motivator of the desire to go to business school is usually either because you either hate your job and you can't wait to move up or you hate you job and need to do the furthest thing from it. An MBA is a funny thing, because it doesn't validate any skill whatsoever. You haven't been raised to the level of someone who is necessarily qualified to do something. You're not certified to achieve a new goal. Hell, you may wery well be doing something similar to what you did before you had that MBA. Which is why MBAs are really ironic.

One of the largest demographic that make up MBA applicants are consultants. One of the most prevalent post-MBA jobs is consulting. Sure, they may vary from IT consulting to management consulting to marketing consulting to whatever consulting, but consulting is still consulting.

Working for one of the "Big 4" consulting firms (if they even use that term anymore), I really despise consulting. If I am given the opportunity to get my MBA, I want to be a consultant when I have completed my studies. I'm not really sure what kind of dumb shut logic applies here, but the most shocking part is the fact that it's taken me so long to realize the irony of my choices in life.

I became a consultant because I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I want to get my MBA because I probably don't want to be a consultant for the rest of my life. I want to do consulting after I get my MBA because you can make some serious bank and get paid for not really knowing anything.

Man, what a waste of a life I am.

posted by mbahunt @ 10:58 PM,

1 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm happy i've finally found an mba blog with a sense of humor. thanks for not dishing out the dull, mind-numbing fare of typical mba bloggers. As i apply to b-school myself, it is nice to hear from soneone who isn't full of shit.
good luck. hope you get into a brand-name school, get a soul-crushing job at a consulting firm, become just as miserable and make some serious bank. maybe i'll see you somewhere along the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

School Status

About Me

Important Dates

Archives

Previous Posts

Links